Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Honoring Hip Hop

Hey Fellow Hip Hop Heads,

Its Megan C., and this entry is going to focus on my ficitious event, the awards show. Which I have titled "FAMU HIP HOP HONORS," after our first entry I realized that a lot of people have the topic hip hop confused. They look at people like Soldja Boy with his dance tracks(not saying they aren't good) and think that's real hip hop, so that is where I need your help.



Since the hip-hop culture has been "tweeked" a little, I am now trying to examine how to go about choosing people in the hip-hop community to honor and recognize.

The goal of my event is to award members of the Florida hip-hop community for their outstanding work, and help promote the FAMU Institute of Music Industry Studies. So this is the run-down of the event:

The FAMU Institute of Music Industry Studies will be hosting the first “FAMU Hip Hop Honors” award show on June 5, 2010 at 7:30 p.m. in the FAMU Multipurpose Center Teaching Gymnasium.

With the goal in mind I have decided that the main "Hip Hop Honor" will be given to Russell Simmons, media mogul, who used his name and marketing power to bring together some of the biggest names in the hip-hop and R&B communities together for a worthy cause. The 2008 Presidental Election, their city tour included voter registration drives and help get a number of African-American citizens, both young and old registered.

The show will be hosted by FAMU's 90.5 (radio station) personalities Sean D and Da Prince, which also will help with the promotion of the institute and university, by showcasing some of the many talents we have among our student population.

Performances are a must for an award show, and who better to perform at a FAMU show, but Tallahassee's own T-Pain. This Billboard topping, showstopper is a product of the great captiol city of Tallahassee, Fla., and it would only be right to invite him to give a performance at the first award show.


There won't be any voting categories for this award show, because we are simply giving them different awards based on their contributions to hip hop and the community. Like Trick Daddy, as much as he can make headlines, the media may forget the good that he does in Dade County. "Trick Loves the Kids" an ongoing project that delievers toys to thousands of Dade County children during the Christmas holidays.

Okay, we don't want to give away to many details about the award show... so make sure you come back next week and see whats going on with the other Hip Hop Events..

So lets start a new discussion:

What do you about the mix up of HIP HOP (Common, Nas, Jeezy) and Dance Tracks (Soldja Boy, DJ Unk)...


7 comments:

  1. I think we should respect both actually. History has proven that during times of recession and economic hardship, people turn to dance tracks, regardless of specific genre, to escape reality. As much as I love Common and Nas imagine how serious we would be if all the music we listened to caused us to reflect on our society, relationship, and personal lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can agree with Kharvari, we should respect both. Although I adore Soulja Boy, I do not consider him Hip Hop, but people like him and DJ Unk have their own style. It's always fun to dance though :)

    I can respect that they remain true to themselves as well as great artists like Jeezy, Nas and Common. It's all good music depending on what you like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kharvari, I never looked at it that way, but now that I am your definitely correct. If it wasn't for these dance tracks I think America would be very depressing right about now. These styles of "hip-hop" are different, but in a good way, I guess we should call it feel good music.

    As a dancer I don't have a huge preference on music, it all depends on my mood, and sometimes I need the mellow sounds of Common, but on some days I need to get crunk with Soldja Boy. But when I see award shows like the MTV awards where the nominees in the category of HIP HOP are dance track makers I wonder if the world is view on hip hop has completely changed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that those artists who give out lyrics with substance might feel less needed or appreciated when you have artists such as Soulja Boy and the GS Boys(Stanky Leg) come out with hit songs that are club bangers. Real artists might feel like people have lost sight of the true meaning of hip hop and are tainting the definition of it. To an extent, I can agree with them. At the same time, my personal views on dancing music might vary from others. I think that if I'm going to Baja's...I want to dance! So, in that setting the dance tracks are in heavy rotation and keep the club hype and help show people a good time. I don't enjoy singing along with all of Ross' or Wayne's lyrics in the club for an hour. I have their CD if I want to do that. I value artists who make the feel good/dance music for the appropriate settings such as Soulja Boy, DJ Unk, F.L.Y. Society(Swag surfin) ,etc. But overall, I would prefer to listen to lyrics with substance and messages...not always about shooting, fighting, sex, drugs, and money because 8/10 of these rappers are making up lies anyway! On a whole I think music has taken a turn for the worst if you compare it to music 15+ years ago and you notice that up and coming rappers will probably never say that they look up to DJ Unk or Soulja Boy. I'm not being a hater or anything...just sharing my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think dance tracks like Soulja Boy and DJ UNK are feel good music. In times like these that the type of music people want to listen to. No one wants to hear music that reminds them of what is going on with the economy. I love Common, Mos Def and Lupe but sometimes I will listen to "Turn My Swag On." With that being said I pretty much agree with Kharvar.

    As far as preference is concerned, I rather listen to Common, Mos Def, Lupe, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can definately agreee and say we should respect both but the respect is for very different reasons. Soulja Boy & DJ UNK can earn respect for their originality and creativity by having everyone want to do their dance and because they made something of themselves. Is this true hip hop though? I wouldnt answer that with a yes only because when you hear people like Nas, Common, Kanye, or even people like Jeezy or 50 who may be more "hype" with it, you can actually hear truth behind most of their lyrics. They tell stories, real stories, and they connect with a lot of people. It's not just some fun new dance to do at the club, but a whole lesson or acknowledgement to the fact that we all go through this and that but we can all make it by doing what we do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting post. I'm still learning so much about hip hop. I never really thought about the difference between hip hop lyrics and dance tracks.

    I like Common. I remember the video he did years ago that was a love song to a deaf girl. I though that was so sensitive for him to go outside the typical girls we see in videos and include a young lady with a hearing challenge. I don't follow his music on a regular basis, but the songs that I like by him are songs with great meaning.

    I think Jessica is correct when she says that we can appreciate songs that tell real stories that connect with a lot of people instead of just music you can dance to.

    It has always been that way. One of my favorite artists is Mr. James Brown. Some people didn't like his music because his lyrics were so limited. But even his two-word songs had great meaning.

    ReplyDelete