Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Birth of HIP HOP

In the beginning God created heaven and earth, and then He created HIP HOP. We are Team HIP HOP, consisting of Dorian P., Megan C., and Natasha G., and we are all apart of the summer 2009 PR Methods course at Florida A&M University (FAMU). We were given the assignment to plan a fictitious event for the FAMU Institute of Music Industry Studies; Dorian-Book & Listening Party, Megan-Awards Show, and Natasha-Music & Film Festival. Each week we will post topics of discussion and we welcome your opinions, to help with the success of our events.

The PR Methods course is a writing class and lab. In this class we will learn how to compare communication tools PR professionals use for getting messages through the media to target publics and audiences. The course is designed around the events that we will plan (as stated above). We are required to individually create media kits (packets of information regarding event and/or company that are sent to various media), websites and blogs, that will help to promote our events.

The books we are using to help guide us in this course are:
-Public Relations Writing: Form and Style, 8th Edition
Doug Newsom and Jim Haynes
-The New Rules of Marketing and PR
Dave Meerman Scott
-Strategic Writing: Multimedia Writing for PR, Advertising, Sales and Marketing, and Business
Charles Marsh, David W. Guth, Bonnie Poovey Short
-Writing PR: A Multimedia Approach
Meta G. Carstarphen and Richard A. Wells
-The Associated Press Stylebook
N. Goldstein

Hello fellow HIP HOP bloggers,

I am Dorian P., the fashionista from Cincinnati, Ohio. I am a graduating Public Relations senior. I have the privilege of planning a book signing and listening party to promote Russell Simmons' newest book. This event will help promote not only the book, but the FAMU Institute as well.

I am Megan C., the north star from Ft. Lauderdale, Fla by way of New Jersey. I am a graduating Public Relations senior with a minor in Spanish. I am honored to have the opportunity to plan the FAMU Institute's first awards show entitled "FAMU Hip Hop Honors." The purpose of this event is to award individuals in the Florida HIP HOP Industry.

I am Natasha G., the southern belle from the beautiful country city of Macon, Ga. I am a graduating Public Relations senior with minors in both Business Administration and French. I have the pleasure of planning a weekend music and film festival that will showcase the best in film and music of today and yesterday that celebrate hip hop. This event is to help generate interest in the new HIP HOP Institute.

So now we're posing this question to you...

"When did u fall 'n luv with
HIP HOP?"


14 comments:

  1. I feel in love with hip hop when I was just a little girl. I was maybe about four or five years old. I would watch my sister all the time and she would always be singing a rap song from the early 90's. One of her favorites was "Push it" by Salt and Pepper. She had a knack for picking up lyrics and at the age of six, she had memorized the chorus to the song. She would sing it for hours and hours. She made me realize that hip hop was the type of music that made me most comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hip Hop Heads,
    I am excited to see the outcome of this group project. I first fell in love with Hip Hip early, I remember dancing around the house with my brother to salt n' pepa before my mom got home and made us start on homework. I would even comb my hair over to the side and asked my dad to buy me their "push it" single when it came out. I never saw woman that were independent and could rap,until I saw them.I still consider salt n' pepa one of the greatest female rap groups of all times
    -Brittany Roberson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings Hip Hop Heads,

    I first fell in love with hip hop in middle school. I recall hearing it in elementary school, but I didn't really listen to it like that, well at least not enough to fall in love with it. Besides hip was banned from my parents house. I can honestly the love I have for R&B, Oldies and Gospel is far more than Hip Hop
    -Ebony Williams

    ReplyDelete
  5. I fell in love with hip hop at a very young age...maybe when I was around age four or five! Every family reunion my aunts and uncles used to push me in front of the video camera so I could roll my tootsie and do the butterfly!!! They thought it was so cute! Perhaps my first encounter with hip hop was with MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice and Kriss Kross!!! I loved me some Kriss Kross (it's a miggedy miggedy miggedy miggedy mack mack)!!! lol My cousins and I used to put that tape in the cassette player and run around the house doing that little dance. My next favorite dance was the hammer! That might have been the first dance I ever learned!!! To this day, I still listen to those songs (yes in my cassette player)! lol Oh the memories....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fell in love with Hip-Hop thanks to Aaliyah. I was in 4th grade and I was tuning my radio when I heard “Are You That Somebody” from the Dr. Dolittle movie soundtrack. It turned out to be 93.9 WKYS (radio station based in DC) and from then on I was hooked. Hip-Hop became my outlet. (true story)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I FELL IN LOVE WITH HIP HOP,EVER SINCE I FIRST HEARD IT IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. IT WAS PLAYED IN MY HOUSE, AT FAMILY REUNIONS AND EVEN ON THE WAY TO SCHOOL. AS A MOTHER I STILL LOVE HIP HOP BUT HAVE TO EDIT MANY SONGS AS THE GENERATIONS CHANGE, BUT I WILL ALWAYS SUPPORT HIP HOP MUSIC. THE REAL ASHPAL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I fell in love with Hip-Hop when I was like 2. I loved Hip-Hop it was so real, so raw to me. I love old school Hip-Hop like "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five or "Raw" by Big Daddy Kane. I absolutely loved anything Salt-n- Pepa did. I loved Mc Lyte because she could spit better than most of the men.Slick Rick, Dana Dane and Dougie Fresh ... especially "The Show"(thats my song and Hip-Hop at its finest).Don't forget one of the first battles "Roxanne" UTFO. "Sky's the Limit" by Biggie and "Keep Ya Head Up" by Tupac are my favorite tracks by the two fallen stars. To this day I love a hard beat. I could go on and on about Hip-Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember falling in love with hip hop when I was a little girl. I don't remember how old I was, but my mother had the radio on and I started dancing. It made me feel good. I believe the song was something by LL and I still love him to this day. The kangol hat, the chain...I LOVE IT ALL! I've told a couple of people that I wish I had been born in the 70's so I could have been a teen in the 80's. That had to be the best hip hop era!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why is the background on this post black? Is it just me or is it VERY difficult to read your post with that dramatic black background. Whew! Why are millennials so dramatic?

    Who's in love with hip hop? I'm not there...yet. But it takes me a while to warm up to things. And all things must make sense to me. There are some artists from theh ip hop genre who I really do like; Heavy D, Salt 'n Pepa, James Brown, to name a few. Glad to see some of the other bloggers like Salt 'n Pepa too!

    I have to thank Dr. Kawachi Clemons and the PRodigy student associates who worked on the Hip Hop Account in the spring because they helped me to better understand hip hop and its value as a music genre. They also convinced me that I might as well learn to like, and maybe eventually love, hip hop music because it isn't going anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol. Prof Kinchlow.. is the Godfather really Hip Hop??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't really say...It's always been around me.Guess I though it was the norm. I'm a fan of many differnt music styles but there's something about Hip Hop that unites people, tells stories and it SOOO fun to dance to.

    It's just a wonderful thing that I couldn't imagine not having in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We want to thank you all for visiting our blog, and its crazy how most of you say you fell in love with hip hop at such a young age. I can remember those "family gatherings" Joy, when the older kids we listening to songs and the younger ones were dancing, while the adults watched and laughed. Hip Hop was key to our up bringing.

    I used to think that my older brother was the coolest because he had all the RUN DMC albums and he would let me listen with him, I thought I was doing it big. But, I am of Jamaican heritage so the musical influences in my life vary, but growing up in Jersey (actually in the house behind one of the members of WuTang)I got to have the NYC Hip Hop experience every now and then.

    Prof. Kinchlow, I changed the background a little bit, some of the readers thought the black backgroud made the words stronger, and stand out.

    Make sure you check out the lates blog..

    -Megan C. of the FAMU Hip Hop Heads

    ReplyDelete
  14. Peace & blessings fellow Hip Hop Heads,

    Firstly, kudos to you all for doing such a relevant project and thanks to my 'cousin', Meagan C. for hipping me to it..

    I believe I first fell in love with Hip Hop when I first heard these lyrics:

    "You can cha-cha-cha to my Mardi Gras
    Cuz, I'm the dopest female that you've heard thus far
    And I do get better
    The voice gets wetter
    Nobody gets hurt
    As long as you let her
    Do my thang with an '89 swing
    The dopeness I write a garuanteed delight
    Cuz, I'm the hip hop maniac
    The Uptown brainiac
    In full effect, Mc Lyte is back..." -Mc Lyte

    And from there it was Kwame, Special Ed, Fresh Prince, Tribe Called Quest, J.J. Fad, The Ghetto Boyz, N.W.A., U.G.K. ('Pocket Full of Stones' was an undergroun phenomanom...hence, there name-- Underground Kings), Queen Latifah, Moni Love, KRS-1 & his then wife, Ms. Melody, the late MC Trouble, Yo-Yo, Salt-n-Peppa, The Beastie Boys, Run DMC, 3rd Bass, Tribe Called Quest, Leaders of a New School, L.L. Cool J., Father MC, Kool Moe D, Biz Markie, MC Breed, Afrikan Bumbata.....Notice, that all of these artists are from the 80's & 90's...You see, before you could get to the Tupac, Biggie, Jay, Kanye, Eminem, Hot Boyz, Lil Waynes and Drakes...you had to have that solid foundation to birth what we have right now....Hip Hop to me is like what New Orleans is to alot of us, HOME. It is beautiful and it is ugly..It embarasses you and makes you proud all at the same time or in the same rhyme...it is who I am and sometimes, how I am.

    It is my past, present and future. My culture and my life.

    ReplyDelete